Ways to help your kids set effective objectives


Earl Nightingale, an American radio personality and author, once said that people with goals succeed because they know where they’re going. A study by the University of Scranton found out that 92% of people who set New Year goals never achieve them. That leaves only a tiny 8% who can fall in the elite category of goal-achievers. What is it that they are doing differently? What is this that the larger population is not doing? Also, many of us claim to know and understand the significance of setting goals to live a better life. However, approximately 80% of people do not set actual goals for themselves. In a world that is now extra busy and complicated, these statistics are shocking. Could it be that most of us never had an opportunity to learn how to set practical objectives?

Setting objectives and seeing them through to completion is a life skill that requires work to have and maintain. It takes time to develop it. It is, therefore, crucial to start instilling planning behavior at a young age. The development age among children has minimal distractions. It is at this stage that you should help them learn the goal-setting skill. Goals and objectives are vital in developing grit among children, which will help them get what they want out of life. In addition, as they learn how to set objectives, they will learn how to take responsibility for their actions and behaviors, adopt an I-can-do-this attitude, and establish discipline, a powerful lifelong habit. 

How will you go about teaching your kids how to set achievable objectives? We will share five steps that will help your kids set practical objectives, track their progress and stay inspired throughout the process.  

Step 1 Let your children choose their Big objective.

It is incredible when children have a genuine desire to achieve an objective. They are far more likely to be intrinsically self-driven and successful. Do not push your children to set objectives that you want them to accomplish. Instead, set up brainstorming sessions to help them identify what they precisely want to achieve in a certain period. Consider asking questions such as; what do you wish you could accomplish? or what is a challenge you would feel happy to overcome?

Help them stay away from setting vague objectives that do not have a precise way to know they have been successful. If the kids can recognize their progress toward their objectives, they will stay motivated. Therefore, make sure you help them set specific, trackable, and measurable objectives. 

Step 2- Help your children understand the WHY

A significant part of achieving any objective is understanding the why or the purpose. As soon as the kids understand why the objective matters, they will get invested in the process, stay motivated and perform better. Engage them using questions like, what do you think is the ultimate benefit of learning how to code? How can this new skill help you and others? Make it your mission to help your kids find a greater purpose in everything they do.

For Unlimited access to educational games, sign up on https://tizi.games/

For Unlimited access to educational games, sign up on https://tizi.games/

Step 3 Break the big objective into smaller achievable steps. 

Setting big and unrealistic objectives is the main reason why people fail to achieve them. They forget it is all about the process and not the outcome. A monumental teaching moment for your kids is their understanding that a successful objective must be within reach. Show them how they should take their main objective and break it down into a series of small, incrementally challenging objectives. This approach will help your children stay motivated, constantly improve and practice the skills required for their big objective. Further, they get to have numerous opportunities to celebrate and take pride in their success along the way. 

 Step 4 Figure out potential obstacles.

A crucial part of establishing excellent planning skills is planning for potential challenges and unforeseen obstacles that can derail one’s motivation. As a parent, guide them into understanding how to visualize achieving goals and prepare for the snags that will stand in their way. Part of this step also involves helping them come up with a plan for overcoming obstacles. Constantly remind them that what they should always embrace is a positive attitude irrespective of the stumbling blocks.

Step 5 Write everything down. 

Children, just like adults, forget easily. The best way to ensure that they follow through with their goals is to make them write them down. A study by Dr. Gai Matthews found out that by writing down your goals, you’re 42% more likely to see them through. Writing the objectives allows them to clarify them and feel motivated to achieve them. You can also print the document and post it on a prominent spot in the house where the kids can see and celebrate their progress.